Filmoteka Narodowa: Polish Telegraph Agency and Wytwórnia Doświadczalna Newsreels
>>View collection This collection of newsreels held by the National Film Archive in Warsaw is largely made up of materials produced by the Polish Telegraphic Agency (PAT). PAT was founded in 1918 as the government press agency. In 1928 it started releasing weekly 10 minute newsreels, initially with a focus on domestic issues. With time foreign news was added, largely acquired from world news agencies. PAT however remained the only agency of any kind producing film and photographic material relating to public institutions, enterprises and state bodies in Poland. The second largest collection contains the Polish newsreels filmed by The Experimental Studio Film Society (Wytwórnia Doświadczalna), founded in 1923 and advertising itself as “The First News Studio in Poland”. Demonstrating greater flare in their techniques, the work of The Experimental Studio is also more thematically diversified. In common with each other, both PAT and The Experimental Studio released theme specific newsreels as well. The collection covers the period from 1924 to 1939.